Michael L. Hurst is a founding partner of the law firm of Hermes Law. With over 30 years’ experience as a trial attorney, Michael has tried many cases involving a wide and diverse range of issues and practice areas.
Michael is rated AV by Martindale Hubbell.
Professional Liability, Products Liability, Premises Liability, Transportation, Construction, Medical Malpractice, Mass Tort Litigation, Environmental/Toxic Tort Litigation
- Obtained a defense verdict for a trauma surgeon and Iraq and Afghanistan war veteran in a case filed in State Court in Grayson County in which the plaintiffs alleged complications during surgery.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an ob/gyn in a birth-injury case in a 3 week trial to a Dallas County jury.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an ob/gyn in a birth-injury case tried in the Eastern District of Texas (Marshall, Texas).
- Obtained a defense verdict in the ShuttleKing bus hijacking case in which 30 separate plaintiffs filed suit against the bus company surrounding the in-transit robbery, shooting, and hijacking of the bus by 3 armed individuals.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a case tried to a Tarrant County jury in a case involving the death of an elderly patient in a nursing home.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a case tried on behalf of a nurse practitioner involving the death of an elderly woman in a nursing home.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a suicide case filed against the treating psychiatrist.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a suicide case filed against the treating psychologist.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat Specialist) in a case in which the settling co-defendant was found negligent and the jury awarded 4.5 million in damages.
- Obtained a defense verdict for 2 dentists in a dental malpractice case filed in Tarrant County Texas.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a trucking company involving the death of the other driver and passenger in a flip over accident.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a trucking company in a premises liability case.
- Obtained a mixed verdict and a defense verdict in Federal Court for a trucking company in a high-speed highway rear-end collision accident on I-20.
- Tried to a mixed verdict a forklift accident in a warehouse facility
- Obtained a defense verdict in a forklift, tractor-trailer incident in which the Plaintiff claimed a herniated disk as a result of the incident.
- Tried to verdict a premises liability action involving the State Fair Music Hall.
- Tried to a hung jury a shoulder dystocia case involving a birth trauma injury.
- Tried to a hung jury a minor claims of permanent brain injury as a result of an emergency shunt installed by a neurosurgeon.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a neurosurgeon in a wrongful death claim filed in Tarrant County.
- Tried to verdict a t-bone collision accident where liability was stipulated and the case was tried on damages only.
- Acted as trial counsel on the following appellate opinions: Bailey v Daniel 967 F.2d. 178 (5th Cir. 1992); Katsen v Rubenfield 2001 WL 923132 (Tex App – Dallas 2001); Raines v Stephens 2005 WL 923132 (Tex App – Waco 2005); Oak Park, Inc. v. Harrison, 206 SW3d 133 (Tex. App. Eastland 2006); Gurkoff v. Jersak, 278 SW 3d 776 (Tex. 2009); and Ritchie v. Rupe, 443 SW3d 856 (Tex. 2014).
- State Bar of Texas, 1985
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Western and Southern Districts of Texas
- Juris Doctor Degree from Texas Tech University School of Law, 1985
- Bachelor of Business Administration Degree from Southern Methodist University, 1982
- Dallas Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell
Michael was born in New Orleans, Louisiana. He is married with 3 children.